Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to some commonly-asked questions about coaching with Brenda.
What is Professional Coaching?
Above quote by The International Coach Federation (ICF), the largest worldwide not-for-profit professional association dedicated to advancing the coaching profession by setting high standards, providing independent certification, and building a worldwide network of credentialed coaches.
How do I know you are legitimate?
Good question! Lots of people are calling themselves ‘Coach’ these days. The title Coach seems to be a buzz word in our society right now. The label is overused, and, in my opinion, abused. Many people feel free to call themselves “coaches” as long as they want to help other people fix their problems or otherwise make their lives better.
I have spent many hours of training, classroom, mentoring, and practice to attain the designation of Certified Professional Coach. I graduated from a school that is accredited by the International Coach Federation, the world’s largest not-for-profit professional association of coaches.
What kind of coach are you?
Most often I refer to myself as a Life Coach and Radical Awareness® Coach.
As a Life Coach who affords clarity and heightened levels of awareness to my clients, I choose to work outside corporate America, at a personal level, with people who are ready to be different so that they can do what’s necessary in order for them to have the kind of lives they say they want to have. My intention is to assist them to accept themselves and others, empower themselves, and learn how to make anything they want become a reality. I work with the young and young-at-heart, employers and employees, entrepreneurs, business executives, and business owners, as well as people who are retired, staying home to care for family, or just taking a break and looking for fulfillment outside the professional world.
If I own a small business, are you the right coach for me?
Many of my clients are small business owners, entrepreneurs, or people looking to go into business for themselves. I, myself, am a successful business owner; I have a ‘street smart’ mentality, and a feel for business that I come by naturally. I have spent my life as the daughter of a business owner and the wife of two different men who owned many different successful businesses.
What is Radical Forgiveness Coaching?
A non-traditional approach, Radical Forgiveness, can assist you to forgive anything or anyone –even if you’re not sure you have a need to forgive. It gets to the root of your issues, and, if you are willing, allows you to view painful situations from a new perspective. Through Radical Forgiveness coaching you will understand that what happened to you actually happened for you so that you could learn and grow into a better version of yourself. With this realization you will let go of all negativity you have around the situation. The released energy will now be available for you to use as you work toward attaining your goals. (Learn more here.)
What is Voice Dialogue?
Voice Dialogue combined with Coaching creates a synergy that expedites clients’ personal growth. People reach heightened levels of clarity and awareness about themselves and others in a very natural, organic way. Transformation occurs as if by magic!
During Voice Dialogue Coaching clients are continuously amazed at the new information each part inside them has to offer when they let that part express itself. Clients attain their goals more quickly and reach a place of peacefulness while navigating the journey of life. (Learn more here.)
What areas of my life can I focus on when we coach?
- Increasing self-esteem and self-worth
- Changing core beliefs – accessing feelings; shifting thoughts
- Achieving goals; getting better results; having fun
- Identifying your vision and purpose (personal and professional)
- Taking charge of your life
- Understanding your choices; making decisions
- Deepening your spirituality
- Releasing guilt, judgment, anger, negativity
- Developing organizational skills and practices
- Creating more balance between extremes
Career Guidance & Consulting
- Identifying your passion to make it your profession
- Adapting to change: mid-life transitions, a new job, re-inventing yourself
- Feeling fulfilled after 60 and 70
- Interviewing tips and techniques
Relationships with significant other, family, friends, colleagues
- Development of Interpersonal skills
- Communication skills –learning to say what you mean so that the listener hears what you intended them to hear
- Finding your ideal partner; romance
- Being assertive; asking for what you want
- Feel deserving and ‘worth it’
- Do what it takes to get there
- Budgeting and saving skills
Am I coachable?
My life seems to be okay right now. What’s more, I’m used to working things out by myself. How can someone like me benefit from your service?
An exciting thing about coaching is that you don’t have to be suffering or in pain to derive benefit. Most people, no matter what their circumstances, want more—whether it’s to be more (peaceful, organized, communicative, assertive, etc), to do more, or to have more (fun, money, friends, hobbies, etc.). Coaching is a great process to bring you more in all areas of life.
What will coaching with you be like for me?
My explanations will afford you clarity and heightened levels of awareness. I’ll brainstorm with you; I’ll be your sounding board; I’ll give you feedback. I’ll listen attentively in order to understand you, and to be able to mirror your conversations back to you; this will afford you opportunity to explore ways in which you can express yourself more powerfully in the future.
We’ll create our coaching partnership together. It will be designed to include as many or as few areas of your life in which you choose to gain higher levels of satisfaction. Most often we will meet three times monthly. Each visit will be forty-five minutes to an hour long.
Action plans to achieve your goals will emerge effortlessly after we identify your core values and goals. During our sessions together you’ll report in to me and I’ll coach you through your challenges, celebrate your wins, and be your personal cheerleader for success.
How do I know if you are the right coach for me?
Our coaching partnership will be ideal if …
- You are personally or professionally dissatisfied, yet sense you are meant to feel fulfilled, purposeful, energetic, and happy. You are willing to call yourself forward, take an honest look at what’s working and not working for you, and then take appropriate steps to stop self-defeating behavior.
- You’re always setting yourself aside to give and care for others, and you want to give more to yourself without feeling guilty.
- You’re tired of being critical of yourself, and you’re finally ready to let yourself off the hook and feel good about who you are.
- You feel angry, resentful, judgmental, jealous, guilty, or embarrassed, and you want to be free of the anxiety and pain these emotions cause you.
- You feel like bad stuff happens to you a lot –some of it feels like a repeating pattern, and you’re up for a new perspective about it all.
- One or more of your relationships could be more satisfying, and you’re no longer willing to settle for less than the best you can make them be.
- You’ve heard about a universal law called the Law of Attraction (likes attract likes) and consciously creating what you ask for (The Secret); and you want help making those philosophies work for you.
- You feel alone, even though you’ve heard or sensed that you are a part of something bigger and more powerful than yourself; now you want to feel your connection to that ‘something’.
- During our first conversation (a free consultation) you get a sense that we’ll get along well. You may already have a feeling that I know you better than you might have thought. Perhaps you’re a bit nervous or excited to get started. You know the time to coach is now!